Welcome friends and family!

"The colors of life shift

within a fixed parameter,

movable blocks of shadow

and light, interchangeable

or not."































"Chaos is a friend of mine." ~Bob Dylan

"Chaos is a friend of mine." ~Bob Dylan
Da Boys!

Front and Center!

These two creatures who have locked up my heart will be front and center in this little corner of blogosphere!







Saturday, May 30, 2009

Summertime Blues


Can you tell I'm ready for school to be out for the boys and me next Friday? I am sooooooo ready!!!!!!!



Summertime Blues

Lounging on the patio,
feet up, fan snarling at beads of sweat
that threaten to tickle my scalp,
I watch them:

Sunbaked Siblings sweat
testosterone rivalry as they slip
and slide into the pool
and each other.
Shrill laughter darts in
and around the jumble of gleeful voices.

The fan’s hot breath chases
escaping tendrils of hair. They sting
my cheeks and eyes in retreat.

Panting dogs circle the pool
and me in search of relief, or liquid, or
the simple need to round up the straggly pack.

A purple umbrella shelters me
from the insistent glare of a probing sun
as listless ice cubes sink into the tepid sea
of lemonade. It sweetly beckons a buzzing fly
as I watch through the streamers across my eyes.

And so begin the days of heat and sweat,
the endless hours of water fights, water guns, sticky hands,
stinging flies and eyes. Ushered in by sun-screened boys
a wave of summer joy douses my desire for snowflakes,
dampens my lingering dream of frostbitten breath and tongues of firelight.

My sigh is lost in a gurgle, choked-off by a well-aimed stream of little boy glee.


Pam Patterson © Summer 2003

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I had forgotten about this one. Love it!

Brings back memories of a simpler time. I'm obviously suffering from a "summertime blues" of a sort of my own.

quid said...

I remember this poem, and I'm sure you are ready for some weeks of more unstructured time. Love, Q

Debby said...

I miss unleashed little boy and little girl glee...